Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Lazy, Leisure, Lavender Day of Summer in East Tennessee

The Lavender Festival

June 18, 2016

Historic Jackson Square

Oak Ridge, TN


“There are some things, after all, that Sally Owens knows for certain: Always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder. Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Add pepper to your mashed potatoes. Plant roses and lavender, for luck. Fall in love whenever you can.”  ~Alice Hoffman, Practical Magic


I'm such a sucker for all things that are unique, and handcrafted by someone who creates something because of love. So, when I go to events like The Lavender Festival in Oak Ridge's Jackson Square, I am experiencing one of the best things in life as far as I'm concerned.  I won't spend time highlighting the event, attach charming recipes (even though I'm pretty tempted to),  or write a history about Lavender.  No, since I decided to practice my hand in photography at the event, I will attempt to share some of its ambiance with minimal explanation and information.  How's that?


Smoky Mountain Lavender 

Track down fresh cut Lavender grown in the fields of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina from these Lavender farmers all through the summer at any local farmer's market. For more information, visit their Facebook page @Smokymountainlavender
The coveted Lavender preparing to be bundled
Lavender bundles sold for $5 each and were a hot commodity



 
Grow your own Lavender, flowers, and herbs



Garden decor from JB Katz






While I was browsing the booths, I kept hearing someone play a banjo. When I would look around, I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from until I walked up to this booth stock full of sticks and strings attached to (that's right, you got it!) a can.  What type of can, you may wonder?  Any type of can!  There were soup cans, SPAM cans, bean cans, you name it, and their creator was strumming away songs from a song book he also sold with them.  The CANJO was the "coolest" item in the place!
Music from a can!
Just take a listen if you don't believe me!

 

And speaking of "hunny," my unique find for the day were these Bee's Wax Candle Lanterns by Spring's Eternal located in Athens, Tennessee.  Yes, they are made from bee's wax and designed with homegrown pressed flowers from where they gather their nectar.  The lantern I took home has Dogwood flowers on it!

Spring's Eternal Bee's Wax Candle Lanterns
Last, but certainly not least, I found all the homemade Lavender products I wanted at the LoCo Lavender booth.  Located in Loudon County, Tennessee, their products contain Lavender that is "grown, harvested and distilled on their farm." For more information, visit their web page, LoCoLavender or their Facebook page @LoCo Lavender.


Have a Lovely, Lavender day!



No comments:

Post a Comment