Friday, March 18, 2016

Springtime at the Knoxville Zoo: Animals in Transition

African Lion
In honor of the last, official day of my spring break for the 2015-16 school year,  I decided to take a trip to the Knoxville Zoo. My spring break has been spent at home catching up on  the chores that I'm sure to neglect during the busy school year.  In addition to catching up on much needed doctor appointments, I also caught up on a lot of other activities that I enjoy as well.  On this day,  I opted to get out the house and take some pictures of other creatures in their habitat also making a seasonal transition.

During my visit, I managed to take about eighty pictures, which is less than what I would have liked, but many of the animals are just getting back into the swing of sunshine and warm weather. Here are some jewels that appeared in my photo stream. Enjoy!


Hamadryas Baboon

Hamadryas Baboon
African Lion


Western Lowland Gorilla

Another Western Lowland Gorilla

Southern White Rhino
African Elephants
Like the rest of us humans, the animals are getting ready for the warm weather and bright sunshine.  Many of the animals, notably, the black bears, and the Malayan tiger were "sacked" out in the shade. Neither time nor the screams of excitement from all the kids could disturb their sleep, so there are no pictures of them, yet.  There are several of the outdoor reptiles who have not made it back into their exhibits yet, such as the Aldabra Giant Tortoise. And the otters were not quite ready to swim. In spite of those few absences, it was a great day to visit the zoo.

For more information about the Knoxville Zoo and its hours, please visit the Visitor's Information. 







No comments:

Post a Comment